- Garbage carts are collected once per week.
- Recycling and yard waste carts are collected on alternating weeks. See schedule for your pickup date.
- All material must fit within the carts completely with lids closed. No extra materials will be collected. (Exception: up to two (2) additional garbage bags that have a ‘tag a bag’ sticker and are not inside a garbage can will be collected.)
- Place carts out by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day. Please do not place your carts out before your collection day to reduce conflicts with wildlife.
- Park It! Place your carts on the street, with the wheels against the curb, if there is one, or just off the roadway on the shoulder. Do not place carts in bike lanes or block sidewalks. Carts must not be an obstacle for cyclists or pedestrians. Information Sheet.
- Point It! The arrow on the cart lid must point to the centre of the road.
- Space It! Leave 1m (3ft) of space between each cart and any obstacles to allow for truck access.
Reasons to Separate Correctly:
- Avoid a Fine: Your household may be fined up to $150 for sorting incorrectly
- Keep Costs Down: Your municipality receives fee increases when the wrong things go into carts
- Keep our Planet healthy: Landfills are filling up, you can make a difference
Cart Use in the Winter
Missed Collection Due to Snow Storms
- Large accumulations of snow may delay collection due to poor road conditions. If your collection is missed during a snow event, leave your waste out for collection and the waste hauler will pick it up as soon as possible. (Do not bring your carts back in until they have been emptied to ensure your collection is not missed).
Each automated cart has a radio frequency identification (RFID) tag that corresponds to the residents address, additionally collection trucks have camera’s and monitor material in each waste stream once it is dumped into the truck. For information on this system please see the links below:
If you have any further questions about automated collection, please call the Regional Waste Reduction Office anytime, 250-469-6250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.