One of the greatest ways we can help our environment is to reduce the food we waste. In addition to taking up valuable space in landfills, wasting food wastes all the resources that went into making that food including:
- water and fertilizer that went into growing the food
- fuel and electricity to harvest, transport and store the food
- land cleared to produce wasted food which results in habitat destruction and uses up land that could have been put to other uses.
Food Waste Tips for Households
Reducing food waste can also help you save a lot of time and money, here are some easy tips to get you started:
- Shop smart:
Take regular inventories in your fridge, freezer and pantry to use up food before it gets too old:
- Check what you already have at home - do you really need to go shopping today?
- Plan future meals to buy what you really need, check out: 10 Easy Meal Planning Tips to get started
- Make a grocery list and stick to it!
Store food with care:
- Keep close eye on produce which can have a short shelf life
- Find great recipes to make delicious meals with what you already have
Serve smaller portions, you can always go for seconds and this can result in less plate scrapings and more leftovers so you don’t have to cook tomorrow...
Use up those leftovers – pack them for lunch to save time and money with your meal preparation
- Remember “first in first out” and place older food to the front so it gets used first.
- Freeze perishable foods that you are not able to use right away. Find what freezes best with this freezer guide
- Know your fridge, some foods store better in certain areas, learn more here
Buy just what you need
Store your food properly so it stays fresh longer
Use more of what you buy
Check out lovefoodhatewaste.ca for all kinds of tips on how to keep food fresh, use food up with creative recipes, plan meals out and much more!
Tips for Avoiding Food Waste for Businesses
When food is wasted, time and money are also lost. Retail food stores and food service in B.C. lose an estimated $1.3 billion worth of food per year! This is not only detrimental to the bottom line, it also has negative consequences on our environment and for local food security. The following resources can help your organization save money, protect the environment and improve local food security:
Want to better understand the impact of food waste? Check out these resources: