Household Hazardous Waste

Tn _waste _yearround _options _2
Tn _HazWasteAd

What is Household hazardous waste?

Left over products that contain corrosive, toxic, flammable or reactive components are considered household hazardous wastes (HHW),  Look for these symbols to help you identify which products are hazardous.  Information Pamphlet

Examples of common household hazardous waste products

  • Cleaners, degreasers, furniture polishes, rust and lime removers
  • Pesticides, fertilizers
  • Adhesives, sealants, caulking, fillers
  • Undercoats and tars
  • Pool and hot tube chemicals
  • Aerosols such as bug repellant, paint, crack filler, insecticides (Raid)

Other Hazardous waste products

  • Electronics, cell phones
  • Batteries
  • Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes
  • Thermostats, smoke detectors

where to dispose of household hazardous waste?

(Accepted Materials/Quantity Limits)

Kelowna Recycling/Battery Doctors at 1972 Windsor Road in Kelowna is the region’s year round depot for household hazardous waste.
Open Monday – Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, Saturday from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm

Other hazardous wastes such as electronics, batteries, light bulbs, thermostats and smoke detectors can also be dropped of at various depots.  You can search our Recycle Coach App, call the Recycling Council of BC recycling hotline at 1-800-667-4321 for specific item or search at

tips for transporting household hazardous waste

Household hazardous waste requires special handling and disposal. Our health and environment are at risk. It is important that each of us is responsible for the products we use.

  • Make sure containers have tightly attached lids to prevent leaks.  Materials in glass jars or containers are not accepted unless they are pesticides in the original glass container.  Solidified liquid materials or empty containers are not accepted.
  • Make sure materials are labelled as best as possible so staff know what they are handling.
  • Pack in a sturdy box and place upright to prevent spills. Don't pack materials in large plastic bags. Line your trunk with plastic if desired.
  • Keep items in the trunk of your car, away from children, pets or food products.
  • Containers that are empty and dry can go into your regular household garbage.

Household Hazardous Waste Alternatives Information Sheet


Regional District of Central Okanagan | 1450 KLO Road | Kelowna, BC V1W 3Z4
Ph: 250-763-4918 | Fax: 250-763-0606 | Email:
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (Closed Holidays)